Essential Question - How can people positively impact their biome?
Directions: Harness the new window trick to use
this hunt. Hold down the control key as you click on the linked words to open a menu.
1. Rachel Carson's book Silent Spring warned people about what problem?
2. Name two parks that John Muir helped establish.
What tool did Muir use to persuade people to value nature?
3. How did Theodore Roosevelt help to preserve America's natural beauty?
4. What was Gifford Pinchot's belief about our National Forests?
5. What important book about the environment did Carl Safina write? What is his message?
Have his predictions proved true? Consider this article. Or select another example that is of interest to you.
Cousteau was one of the greatest conservationists of the 20th century.
7. What animal species did Dian Fossey study? What happened to her?
8. You are concerned about a local policy's impact on a species. You decided to contact the
How does the President influence these decisions?
9. How did Julia Butterfly Hill fight to save a redwood tree?
10. Select a Goldman Prize winner. Describe how the person had a positive effect on the environment.
11. What is one issue related to the environment that is impacting your community?
12. In 2004, Wangari Maathai was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. What has been her environmental cause?
Evaluate - Has her goal been achieved?
Walton's inventions sought to fix environmental problems.
14. Listen to High School Student is Biofuel Whiz-kid - What is the big message behind this student's efforts?
Utilize your online research skills to find a person (not
mentioned above) who has made a contribution to an environmental issue.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you and then you win." Mahatma Gandhi
Useful links about the environment:
Network, a clearinghouse for all environmental education information,
materials and ideas.
All trademarks, copyright and logos belong to their respective
Save a tree - use a Digital Answer Format - Highlight the text. Copy it. Edit .. Copy. Paste it in a new word processing document. Edit .. Paste. Save the word processing document in your folder. Answer on the word processing document in a contrasting color (not yellow) or font (avoid Symbol, , or other ornate artistic fonts). Save frequently as you work. I have never liked losing my work. You will not like it either. Enter your name and the date in the header, of the document. Submit your assignment via a class electronic dropbox or email attachment. Bad things happen. Save a copy of your work on your computer. Educators may print a hunt, exactly as it appears, for use in a classroom setting.
Proof read your responses. It is funny how speling errors and typeos sneak in to the bets work. Make Your Own Printed answer sheet.