Butterfly and Moth Internet Hunt part 2
Bookmark this web page. Click on the link to go to a page with the answer to
To know them is to love them -
1. Males and females of this butterfly are different colors.
2. These butterflies have a hairy fat body.
3. These butterflies have powdery scales on their wings.
4. These butterflies are tiny (nickel size) and have strings tails.
5. These butterflies look like they have only 4 legs.
6. This butterfly's caterpillar has large fake eyes.
7. This moth caterpillar cocoons in a bag covered with bits of needles.
8. These male butterflies are blue on the top and grey underneath.
9. These caterpillars eat all the leaves on a tree.
10. This butterfly migrates south each year.
11. A large, bright yellow butterfly with black stripes.
12. A very large moth that is brown and white. Its wingspan is 3-6 inches. Name it.
They explain the name. Who was Polyphemus?
How wide is your palm? Which is wider your palm or this butterfly's wingspan?
13. A yellow butterfly with no black stripes.
14. A small white butterfly whose caterpillar eats broccoli plants.
15. Butterfly with fat hairy body with a big white spot on the hind wing.
16. This butterfly is orange and cooper colored like a penny.
17. A Red Admiral butterfly has what colors?
18. Select any two of the butterflies we just considered.
Compare and contrast them. How are they similar? How are they different?
How long is the thread of a Bombyx mori, commonly called a silkworm, caterpillar's cocoon?
Approximately how many football fields long is that? (Helpful Hint: A football field is 100 yards long.)
Insect Mascot for school - pbl
Make a butterfly species list for your community or state. Next go out and look for them.
Frayer Science Vocabulary Activites:
Updated August 2023, posted 4/2000