The Birchbark House Internet Activity
Directions: Bookmark this web page. Use the links to go to a site
to find the answer.
1. The book is written in sections by season. Write an Anishinaabe
name for a moon for each season.
2. Nokomis and Omakayas harvest the bark
of a birch tree for their new home.
4. There are 8 species of bears in the world. Review these bear
5. Deydey rewards Omakayas with a gift of the barrel of his old gun.
He thinks it will make a good tool for scraping skins.
Height of wild rice reeds in feet. (use the tallest number) _____________________
Your height in feet. __________________________________
What is the difference?
7. Andeg, the crow, was a friend to Omakayas. In the story he cries,
8. The Anishinaabe
lived in North America for thousands of years before the invasion of the
9. Angeline learns the letters so she can read the treaties to prevent
the government from cheating her people.
10. Ms. Erdrich's childhood helped prepare her to write this story. Explain.
11. Listen to the song of the white-throated sparrow.
Wild rice gathering Which job would you choose to do? Why?
Omakayas' family works together to do maple sugaring. Read Walking
Bear's description of the process.
How many gallons of maple tree sap are needed?
More Writing activities:
"Never let fear take your mind away. Always think." Deydey
Save a tree use a Digital Answer Format - Highlight the text. Copy it. Paste it in a word processing document. Save the document in your folder. Answer on the word processing document in a contrasting color (not yellow) or font (avoid fancy ones like , ). Save regularly as you work. Submit the assignment via an electronic class drop box or email attachment. Proof your responses. It is funny how speling errors and typeos sneak in to the bets work. MYO Printed answer sheet.
Or perhaps you have the resources to record verbal answers. If you do, be sure to first read / record the question. Then record the answer immediately after it.
Tech Tip: Working in a group or in two different places like the library & home? You do not have to be physically together to work together.
Aligned to Pennsylvania Academic Standards