The Outcasts Internet Exploration
Directions: Use your Internet research skills to answer these questions that are based on elements of the story.
1. Consider the settings. Do any of them really exist?
2. Contrast the activities offered at Camp Talequa with those provided at Camp Lindenmere. (Reminder: Contrast means find the differences)
Based on your findings, which would you choose for your sibling or a friend? Explain
3. Loretta Bevilaqua tells Margaret Rose about a work of art called Running Fence.
Was the work genuine?
Has the artist made other unusual works of art?
4. Vocabulary Use an online dictionary, thesaurus or other resource to complete the following.
a. Define substantial.
b. The rose's picture was described as succulent. Name one other thing in the story that could be described as succulent.
c. Identify two things (not mentioned in the story) that oscillate.
d. What would you say it behooves you to do at school?
e. What happens if the members of a group do not resonate?
One might say that all but one of the campers in the Meadowlark cabin resonated.
f. Identify the character(s) in the story that could be described as malcontent.
5. Margaret Rose occupies Tower Two in an effort to save it.
Was she successful?
6. Through the story you learn that Tennyson wrote, "Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all."
What is the poem about?
7. Margaret Rose sings God save the Queen. Read the lyrics.
8. According to E.L. Konigsburg "Before you can be anything ..." Finish the quote.
Did Margaret Rose find it?
9. Assess the situation. How many of the author's books are currently available in your school or community library?
You are considering reading another book by the author.
Margaret Rose describes taking control of going to camp by researching and selecting the camp herself.
10. When Margaret Rose goes to City Hall the receptionist gives her a hard time.
11. The Anglophile Language Arts teacher requires her students to learn God Save the Queen.
12. Name a famous clock tower. How far is it from your home? (Employ your estimation skills)
13. In the United States there are 4 commonwealths. Do you reside in a commonwealth?
"The only thing more destructive than someone who thinks his idea is the only possible correct one
updated 10/2010, posted May 2007 Cynthia J. O'Hora
Save a tree use a digital answer format - Highlight the text. Copy it. Paste it in a word processing document. Save the document in your folder. Answer on the word processing document in a contrasting color (not yellow) or font (avoid fancy ones like , ). Or perhaps you have the resources to record verbal answers. If you do, be sure to first read / record the question. Then record the answer immediately after it.MYO Printed answer sheet.