Investigating Interesting Insect Information
Directions: Bookmark this
web page. Use the links to go to a site with information that will help you answer the question.
Begin by reviewing basic insect facts at Let's Talk About Insects.
What traits do all insects have in common?
1. How is a bumble bee different from a honey bee?
2. Many insects use camouflage. Name one of the laws of camouflage.
Evaluate. Which of these moths is better camouflaged?
3. What is your state's official insect? (Use your online research skills to find the answer.)
What occurs during that stage?
5. Examine the maps. When did the monarch butterflies arrive in your region in 2009?
Compare that date to the 2015 arrival in your area. Which was earlier?
Monarch butterflies migrate south each year. Where do the monarch butterflies living in your community go?r
6. How are plants important to butterflies?
7. Do bees communicate with each other? How?
Think about it. Do people communicate this way?
8. What is entomology?
9. Deserts are hot, dry and inhospitable. Name three insects that live in the desert.
10. How do beetles communicate with each other?
Which form(s) of beetle communication have you observed?
11. Insects are: vertebrates or invertebrates? (Look here, if you are not sure.)
Example - Birds have backbones. Animals with backbones are called vertebrates.
12. How many species of Odonates can be found in your county?
Tip: Click on the appropriate continent in the location tree to begin.
Where would you go, in your county, to look for a species of Odonates?
14. Ticks can spread diseases to people. How can you protect yourself around ticks?
Save a tree - use a Digital Answer Format - Highlight the text. Copy it. Paste it in a word processing document. Save the document in your folder. Answer on the word processing document in a contrasting color (not yellow) or font (avoid Symbol, , or other ornate artistic fonts). Save frequently as you work. Enter your name and the date, in the header of the document. Submit your document via electronic dropbox or email attachment. Bad things happen. Save a copy of your work on your computer. Make Your Own Printed answer sheet.