1. How many different species of bats are there in the world?
2. The Honduras white bat makes tents. What does it use to make the tent?
3. What makes the Congress Bridge in Austin, Texas special?
4. Use your online research skills to learn the most common bat found in your area or state.
5. Name three kinds of places bats call home.
6. What are the wings of bats made of?
7. Write another fact about the wings of bats.
8. How do people use bat droppings?
9. Why is the Indiana bat endangered?
11. Calculated to challenge - How many bugs can a bat eat in one 3 hour evening?
How is this important to the ecosystem?
Check out the pie chart about Yearly Behavior Cycle for bats. (At the bottom of the 2nd web page)
Circle the correct answer.
12. What happens to bats when people disturb them during hibernation? (Check out the section called Bat Behavior)
While you were reading that last page did you see - What do they call baby bats?
13. Some bats are (circle the correct words)
Circle the word(s) that describe you.
14. Did you ever hear the saying (idiom) "she has bats
in her belfry"? What does it
15. Scan this bat interview. Write another question to ask the bat.
16. Take the bat quiz "Bat you do well!" ~*~
17. Go find out. How many books about bats does Amazon.com offer? _____________________
Examine the list. Write the title of bat book that looks interesting.
Personally, I really like Bats at the Beach by Brian Lies.
What batty book do you think they should add to your school's library or at your community library?
What would be two negative consequences of losing bats in our habitats?
You have decided to erect a bat house.
Evaluate - Which of the websites that you visited during this hunt would be helpful to you in writing the proposal? Why?
* Go Digging: Bat pollinators are important to some plants. Explain why.
~*~ You worked hard to answer all the questions. Try these batty activities.
~*~ Listen up ( Look for Listen in left column) - As a teen, Merlin Tuttle, banded bats hoping to find out where bats went in winter.
~*~ Do this Dichotomous Key activity for two of the species. Then try your hand at making one for a species of bats.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.
Save a tree - use a Digital Answer Sheet: Highlight the text of the questions on this web page, copy them - Edit .. Copy. Open a text document or word processing document. Paste the questions into the blank document. Answer the questions in the word processing document in a contrasting color ( not yellow) or font (avoid fancy fonts like: , Symbol, or . Save frequently as you work. I do not like losing my work. You will not like it either. Put your name and the date in a header. Bad things happen. Retain a copy of your work on your computer. Submit your assignment via a class electronic drop box or email attachment. Proof your responses. It is funny how speling errors and typeos sneak in to the bets work. Make Your Own Printed answer sheet
Tech Tip: Working in a group or in two different places like the library & home? You do not have to be physically together to work together.