Character Traits Word Cloud Project
A word cloud is picture of words with more frequently used words given a greater emphasis.
Make a word cloud for a character in the story.
1. In a text document, make a list of 10 words or phrases that describe a character from the book.
Save the list to your class folder. Call it word cloud project.
2. Make a list of words in a text document. Save the list on your desktop.
3. Enter the character's name in the box 2 times. Connect the first and last names with a ~ tilde.
You may either type the name 2 times or type it one time. Copy .. paste it one more time.
This will give the name the greatest emphasis in the word cloud.
4. Enter 10 words or short phrases (2 or 3 words) that describe the character.
When you enter a short phrase, remember to connect the words with ~ tilde symbols.
Proof your entries. It is funny how speling errors and typeos sneak in to the bets work.
5. When you have completed your list - Go to the Word Cloud web site https://www.wordclouds.com/
Another site for online word cloud generator
Go File ... Paste/type text.
Once you have added your word list ... Click Apply button in the bottom right corner of the window.
6. A beginning sample of your word cloud will appear.
Clicking the Shape button will open a large list of options to create a new look for your word cloud.
Use the Edit, Theme, Font and Color menus at top of the window to adjust the appearance of your cloud.
When you are satisfied - Click Print.
7. Save a copy of your product in your computer by taking a screen shot.
Visit this web page http://www.take-a-screenshot.org/ for directions on how to take a screen shot in various computer formats. Click on the tabs at the top of the blue field to see the tip for different systems like Mac, iPhone, iPod and so on....
8. Contribute your word cloud to the archive on the Wordle website by clicking the Save to public Gallery button.
How to make a word cloud in MS WORD - youtube video
Make a word cloud for any study unit which is rich in new vocabulary. Post it in the classroom.
Tagxedo is another word cloud creating software product. (You may need to upgrade your Microsoft Silverlight web plugin. It is free.) This software lets you make the word clouds in special shapes like: a heart, the earth, animals, a state or country, even a person's head shape.
101 Ways to use Tagxedo is an outstanding resource of ideas for using word clouds. Wow!
"Use a picture. It's worth a thousand words." Arthur Brisbane
Other Literature projects:
Make a vocabulary crossword puzzle
| Character Map computer project
Design a PowerPoint™ presentation of the story elements | Or Develop a Prezi related to the book
Make a GoogleLitTrip - How to
| WebQuests an inquiry-oriented lesson
| Literature as Art webquest
Internet Hunts / Nature / Plants and People / Computers / Puzzles & Projects / Site
map / Home
All trademarks, copyright and logos belong to their respective
Kudos to Jonathan Feinberg for sharing Wordle with all of us.
Posted February 2013.