"Too old to plant trees for my own gratification I shall do it for posterity." Thomas Jefferson
April Facts Internet Hunt
1. April Fool's Day began many years ago in France. What event started it?
2. If you go outside in an April rain, you may see many earthworms.
Write one more interesting worm fact.
3. Read this article about the cost of typeface/font.
4. They say April showers bring May flowers. But I don't
think they meant the Lyrid meteor showers that come each April.
5. Look it up. In April 1861, Anna Etheridge enlisted in the 2nd Michigan Volunteer Regiment.
How did she serve her nation?
6. Save energy in April for Earth Day
One way you can help control pollution, reduce waste and
decrease your electric bill is to change
A. How does a LED bulb compare to a compact fluorescent one?
B. Which one uses energy most efficiently?
Assume that you counted all the CFL bulbs in your house.
Need help with the math?
Watch: Representing a number as a decimal, percent and fraction at Khan Academy.
Grade the video - A+ very helpful to F What on earth is he talking about?
Offline: Conduct a survey of your class.
Extend your efforts: A compact fluorescent bulb has broken.
Write a brief set of directions for how to clean it up. Include two DO NOT DO's.
7. Some people say that you can stand an egg on end because
it is the Vernal Equinox.
Does the date have anything to do with standing an egg on end?
8. April is a good time to plant a tree. Name two things trees do that are beneficial.
Do some research.
What would be a good, native deciduous tree to plant near your home or school?
9. In April, U.S. citizens calculate their income taxes. When did Congress start taxing income?
10. In the Concord Hymn, Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote that on April 18th someone
"fired the shot heard round the world".
10. What is todays predicted high
and low temperature for your community?
Challenge: Repeat this process for the location where one of your relatives lives.
Compare the temperatures.
You are comparing your community's temperature to ________________________________
Which place has a higher high temperature? ________________________________________________
Which place has the lower low temperature? ________________________________________________
11. Watch Graphing a number sequence.
What would be the next term for 50?
What would be the next term for 500?
Use your online research skills to:
12. Give the Absolute Location of your community.
Did you notice there are two questions 10? APRIL FOOLS! ;-)
* Check out the Bluebirds Project. Identify a good place for a bluebird house at your school or local park.
* Print the US Dept of Energy's Easy Energy Action Plan.
What percentage of the energy saving suggestions are regularly being done?
* Tomorrow Will Be a Better Day - What do you believe?
* You count the CFL bulbs in your house. You find that 22 of the 45 light bulbs in your home are CFL's.
Grade the video - A+ (very helpful) to F (What on earth is he talking about?).
* Select an Eyewitness event from the National Archives. (Use the Content Menu) Read and explore it.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese." ~ unknown ;-)
All trademarks and copyrights belong to their owners.
2001 Cindy O'Hora Educators may print a hunt for use in a classroom setting. Updated 3/2021, posted 3/01
Save a tree - use a Digital Answer Sheet: Highlight the text of the questions on this web page, copy them - Edit .. Copy. Open a text document or word processing document. Paste the questions into the blank document. Answer the questions in the word processing document in a contrasting color ( not yellow) or font (avoid fancy fonts like: , Symbol, or . Save frequently as you work. I do not like losing my work. You will not like it either. Put your name and the date in a header. Bad things happen. Retain a copy of your work on your computer. Submit your assignment via a class electronic drop box or email attachment.
Proof your responses. It is funny how speling errors and typeos sneak in to the bets work. Make Your Own Printed answer sheet