Directions: Click on the links to go to a site with the question's answer. Although the answer is often on the page you are linked to, some questions require you to choose an appropriate link to another page with the answer. If a link is broken, use your online research skills to locate an answer. Use your browser's Go Menu to return to this hunt page.
1. Elizabeth Jane Cochran was a journalism pioneer. What was the name she used as a reporter?
What group of people did her reporting help?
2. The Daughters of the American Revolution denied her
a place to sing in Washington D. C..
Why did the DAR treat her this way?
Name one song she sang at that event. What was the importance of her choice?
3. In honor of the 25th anniversary of Earth Day, Environmental Protection Secretary, James M. Seif, announced the naming of the Department of Environmental Protection - Department of Conservation of Natural Resources Harrisburg headquarters as the Rachel Carson State Office Building on April 19, 1995.
Use your online research skills to explain why she was selected for the honor.
4. Many call her the Mother of Modern Dance. Who was she?
How did she influence dance?
6. Sarah Josepha Hale gave this advice:
How was she well qualified to give this advice?
What nursery rhyme did she write?
Masters is often named as the first woman inventor in the American
colonies. She lived in Philadelphia.
Cassatt's Impressionist style paintings are pleasing to many people.
9. She is the first woman to head the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection. (Look it up)
Who is she? How long did she serve in the position?
10. How does Terri Watson contribute to her community?
11. Kimberly A. Voelz is a hero. Why?
12. The Academy of Natural Sciences owes Virginia Orr Maes a debt of gratitude. Explain.
Have you collected these animals?
13. Marilyn Horne is known for her ........
14. Where should you go to view Violet Oakley's murals? Use your online skills to find the answer.
15. Mary Morris Husband was a Civil War nurse. What is she remembered for having?
16. For what is Mary Roberts Rinehart best known?
17. How did C. DeLores Tucker work to shape a better Pennsylvania?
18. Find it: Name the women who sit on the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
19. September 28th is Francis E. Willard Day by order of the PA. Legislature even though she is not a Pennsylvanian.
Wentworth Ruschenberger commissioned a symbol to promote her cause.
21. In 1947, Ruth Patrick founded a branch of science. Her discoveries lead to the Patrick Principle.
22. Marciarose Shestack was a pioneer in ...
What were two of her accomplishments?
23. Barbara Weisberger played an important role in the growth in performing arts in Pennsylvania.
24. The 19th
Amendment to the US Constitution was proposed June 4, 1919.
What does the 19th Amendment assure?
Extra: Use your online research skills to uncover
5 more extraordinary woman of Pennsylvania. Include an important woman in your community/county.
"Penn's Vision," by Violet Oakley
Posted 1/5/2006 by Cynthia J. O'Hora This work is released to the public domain, updated 3/2019
How to make a Digital Answer Sheet: Highlight the text of the questions on this web page, copy them - Edit .. Copy. Open a text document or word processing document. Paste the questions into the blank document. Answer the questions in the word processing document in a contrasting color or font ( not yellow, avoid fancy fonts like: , Symbol, or . Save frequently as you work. I do not like losing my work. You will not like it either. Put your name and the date in a header. Bad things happen. Retain a copy of your work on your computer. Submit your assignment via a class electronic drop box or email attachment.
Proof your responses. It is funny how speling errors and typeos sneak in to the bets work. Make Your Own Printed answer sheet