The Winter People Internet Hunt
Directions: Click on the link to go to a web site with the answer to
1. This is a work of historical fiction. In
1981, Gordon Day researched the events of Rogers' Raid.
Write 5 facts that were told by Bruchac in the story and are verified by Day.
2. At the dance, musicians used several kinds of instruments.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 10, Saxso talks about time
keeping with the church bells and a clock.
World's Time Zones". Examine the map on the right side of the paragraph.
Name a way (other than a clock) that you keep time.
4. A birchbark canoe was a vital tool for Saxso to use
to save his family.
5. Saxso tells of many ways the Abenaki people used plants.
Name another plant used by Native Americans for healing. How was it used?
6. Many times during the story a folk tale or legend is used to
teach a lesson.
Title of the tale/legend read:
7. Vocabulary - Use this online dictionary to find the meaning of the following words
8. TIA (Think about it) - Who were the Winter People?
Why did Saxso call them that?
9. In your opinion, what makes Joseph Bruchac highly qualified to write this story.
10. During the 1600 to 1800's Indian populations were decimated by epidemics. How did this happen?
11. Bruchac uses literary devices to paint a vivid picture of events in the book.
For example: he described Great Simon being shot
This is an example of which literary device? a Simile / a Metaphor / Personification
Calculated to challenge - How many books written by this author, does your school or community library offer?
How many books about Native Americans does your library have?
What percentage of the library's Native American books were written by Bruchac?
"Most battles are lost before the fighting ever begins." Pierre Ktsi Awasos
All trademarks and copyrights belong to their owners.
Created 2004 Cindy O'Hora FAQ posted 5/2004, Updated 12/2011, 11/2013
Save a tree - use a Digital Answer Sheet: Highlight the text of the questions on this web page, copy them - Edit .. Copy. Open a text document or word processing document. Paste the questions into the blank document. Answer the questions in the word processing document in a contrasting color ( not yellow) or font (avoid fancy fonts like: , Symbol, or . Save frequently as you work. I do not like losing my work. You will not like it either. Put your name and the date in a header. Bad things happen. Retain a copy of your work on your computer. Submit your assignment via a class electronic drop box or email attachment.