Directions: Use the colored
links provided to find the answers to the questions. Use the Back button
of your browser
1. We think of Labor Day as a signal that summer is over. But what was it really meant to be?
Use your online search skills to learn the date summer is over.
2. Everyone is worried about energy costs these days.
a. Landscaping can make a big difference in energy costs.
Where should we plant trees
b. Look at the pie chart How We Use Energy in Our Homes.
c. What uses the least amount of power?
Calculation Power: Your home has electric heat.
The January electric bill was $500.00.
TAI (Think about it) How can you help reduce energy use in your home and school?
3. On September 2, 1789, the U. S. Treasury Department
was established. What
do they do?
4. On September 14, 1814, Francis Scott Key wrote the
lyrics to a song.
Type the first line, of the lyrics of the song. Try doing it from memory.
5. In 2005, David Berry won an award for his innovations. How did his childhood play prepare him to be an inventor?
6. What does the word "innovations" mean? Online
Dictionary (This is a long word to type with
lots of chances to make a mistake.
Enumerate 2 innovations at your school this school year.
7. On September 22 1776, Revolutionary War hero, Nathan
Hale was hanged by the British as a spy.
How did the British identify Nathan Hale as a spy?
8. The Great Smoky Mountains National Park is a great
place to visit in the fall.
10. In September, Monarch butterflies are on the move. Why?
Based on the map, where do the autumn Monarch Butterflies from your community go?
When should you do this at school?
Calculated to challenge
12. Find out - What is the name of the USA's official national anthem?
How many decades has the song been the USA's official national anthem?
13. You have been assigned the task to write an essay on bravery. You decide to open with a quote about bravery.
Done already? Excellent!
* Explore Mrs. O's Milkweed and Monarch Butterfly Mania web site
* Solve the History Mystery Message
* Poetic humor - The end of August means back to school
for many kids in the USA.
Write the title of the one you liked best. Comment on why you chose it.
* Read the poem "September"
by Helen Hunt Jackson. (When I was in 7th grade, I had to memorize it!)
All trademarks, copyright and logos belong to their respective owners.
O'Hora All Rights Reserved. Educators may print a hunt for use in a classroom setting.
Save a tree - use a Digital Answer Sheet: Highlight the text of the questions on this web page, copy them - Edit .. Copy. Open a text document or word processing document. Paste the questions into the blank document. Answer the questions in the word processing document in a contrasting color ( not yellow) or font (avoid fancy fonts like: , Symbol, or . Save frequently as you work. I do not like losing my work. You will not like it either. Put your name and the date in a header. Bad things happen. Retain a copy of your work on your computer. Submit your assignment via a class electronic drop box or email attachment.
Proof your responses. It is funny how speling errors and typeos sneak in to the bets work. Make Your Own Printed answer sheet
Tech Tip: Working in a group or in two different places like the library & home? You do not have to be physically together to work together.