Watch What is GIS?
1. What does the acronym GIS stand for?
2. What is GIS?
3. What can you do with GIS?
4. What are the tools for GIS?
5. Write three GIS questions about your community. GIS Touches All Our Lives, Everyday might be helpful
6. Pose a GIS question that relates to your school or school district.
7. How could GIS be used to make decisions about recreation facilities or programs in your local?
8. What impact could come from the EMMMA Project?
9. Which area in your state had the highest incidence of West Nile?
Based on these results, should your community spray against the disease this summer?
Give an example of a GIS related project that teens could do in your community.
11. How is your local, regional or state government using GIS for planning?
12. Name three skills that are important to GIS workers.
Journey further in your explorations:
Watch City Buildings in Pictures David Pogue hitches a ride in A9's picture-taking, GPS-equipped S.U.V.
Listen and Watch, then consider:
Gap Analysis is a scientific means for assessing habitats & if native animal & plant species are being protected.
Jobs related - The US Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that jobs for Surveyors, cartographers, photogrammetrists, and surveying technicians grew by 21% in 2006 Much faster than average growth. Increasing demand for fast, accurate, and complete geographic information is expected to lead to new jobs for these workers. These jobs are projected to grow by19 percent from 2008 to 2018.
Geoscientists jobs grew by 22% in 2006. Much faster than average growth. The need for energy, environmental protection, and land and water management is expected to spur growth. Those with a master’s degree should have excellent opportunities, especially in the management, scientific, and technical consulting industry. Budget constraints are expected to limit opportunities in governments.
2007 Cynthia J. O'Hora, Educators may print a hunt, exactly as it appears, for use in a classroom setting. Posted 1/11/2007
Save a tree - use a Digital Answer Format - Highlight the text. Copy it. Paste it in a word processing document. Save the document in your folder. Answer on the word processing document in a contrasting color (not yellow) or font (avoid Symbol, , or other ornate artistic fonts). Save frequently as you work. Enter your name and the date in a header. Submit the assignment via a class dropbox or an email attachment. Bad things happen. Save a copy of your document in your computer. Perhaps you have the resources to record verbal answers. If you do, be sure to first read / record the question. Then record the answer immediately after it. Make your own answer sheet
Tech Tip: Working in a group or in two different places like the library & home? You do not have to be physically together to work together. You do not have to take paper based notes at the library and digitalize them at home.