Computer Maintenance Internet Scavenger Hunt
Unless your computer is in its box, it
is getting dirty. Dust and lint accumulate all over it.
Directions: Use the links provided to find the answers to the questions. Use a bookmark of this hunt to speed your return to this hunt page. When you finish the activity you can delete the bookmark.
1. Your computer's cursor is not going where you drag it. Before you reinstall the whole system, clean your mouse.
Write the steps here:
2. Keyboards can really get gunky. List the tools you will need to clean a computer keyboard.
3. Monitor screens. What is important to remember when cleaning CRT monitors?
Flat Panel LCDs - Name two things you should never use to clean a flat panel LCD screen.
Which parts of the monitor should you clean?
4. A dirty CD may not run properly. Write the important things to know about cleaning a CD.
5. What is appropriate standard maintenance on your hard drive?
What is a potential consequence of not doing them?
6. What should you NOT DO when cleaning a notebook computer?
8. Watch this video Make Your Own Ethernet Cable
List three other technology related topics that should be covered using this format.
9. Look into this powerful idea: You would not leave a faucet running constantly in case you want to wash your hands.
“PCs are not hurt by turning them on and off a few times a day,” said Jonathan Koomey, a project scientist
What do you conclude should be done? Leave it on / turn it off
Estimate the number of computers your school has.
Extra: What is the problem of e-waste?
Internet Hunts / Nature / Computers / Pennsylvania Projects / Civics & History / Puzzles & Projects / Site map / Home
2004 Cynthia J. O'Hora. Updated 6/2009, posted 1/2004
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License. 8/2007
Save a tree - use a Digital Answer Format - Highlight the text. Copy it. Paste it in a word processing document. Save the document in your folder. Answer on the word processing document in a contrasting color (not yellow) or font (avoid Symbol, , or other ornate artistic fonts). Save frequently as you work. Enter your name and the date in a header. Submit the assignment via a class dropbox or an email attachment. Bad things happen. Save a copy of your document in your computer. Perhaps you have the resources to record verbal answers. If you do, be sure to first read / record the question. Then record the answer immediately after it. Proof your responses. It is funny how speling errors and typeos sneak in to the bets work.
Tech Tip: Working in a group or in two different places like the library & home? You do not have to be physically together to work together. You do not have to take paper based notes at the library and digitalize them at home.